DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum - View Single Post - How to pull someone out?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:177
richmond has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond has a spectacular aura about
Default Pulling in reverse 4wd

The last new truck I owned had the tow hook on the front (not a tie down). I did not snatch anyone out, I did not snatch logs up the logging road (pulled to the logging road in reverse 4wd, re-hooked in the rear and pulled them up the hill 4wd). The wife got stuck in the 4x4 SUV (7,200lbs) down at our bottoms on the farm (pulled her in reverse 400' up the hill with a log chain from the bottom tow hook). I sold the truck after 200,000 plus miles and no tranny problems.

I allowed a friend on my farm cutting firewood and he tried to ease a tree from where it was slightly lodged in another tree from the rear. His rear end lifted off the ground and snapped her in the front (limped home in 2wd and repaired it). I took him back to the tree hooked up to the Magnum 5.9 and gently eased it out in reverse 4wd. I've had no no tranny problems with reverse, 4wd, or 2wd for that matter.

This was taught to me by my father, my uncles (who are all farmers). As for snapping a log chain or tow sling hadn't happened yet (but could). But if I can see it in writing from a factory manual I shall amend my ways. If someone has an example of tranny damage using reverse to extract I'm a good listener. Thanks All

R...