Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
Trail Whale will become famous soon enough

You can stay WAY lower than that and run 35s! A leveling kit, or even better a small lift will do it fine. I will be pulling the trigger on a 3" Carli lift today, it will fit 35s easily! (I'll be cutting the fenders some so that I can stuff 37s under it with full flex but, 35s will fit easily!)

The main thing your have to watch out for is the width of the tires and the backspacing of the wheels, those are the main criteria for putting big tires under a 4th gen. DON'T go by the stated tire width, research the tire and look at its actual width (prime example that I have come across: the popular Toyo Open Country mud terrains are listed as 37x12.50R17 BUT their actual width (on an 8" wide rim) is 14.6 inches!!!) get a fairly narrow 35 on a wheel with close to stock backspacing and you will be good to go!!! If you go with less backspacing than stock, the tires will stick out more and will give more control arm clearance but, they will be more likely to contact your fenders. Do not go with more backspacing than stock, as you will have a lot of issues including (but not limited to) a lot of increase in turning circle diameter since your tires will hit the control arms well before full steering lock. I would stay close to stock backspacing (I'd run a little less backspacing than stock to get more control arm clearance and to get a bit beefier stance) and maybe look into some control arms that give extra tire clearance. (their are MANY on the market to choose from!)

The truck in the pics above looks really cool but, to my eye, it needs 37s or even 40s to look perfect at that lift height! You don't need a big lift to fit 35s! Also, remember, the larger lift you go with, the more $$$ you'll be spending, not only on the lift but on other things that have to be modified for more lift:
extended brakelines
extended driveshafts
long arms (any lift over 4" and you'd be well advised to go long arm, tall short arm lifts compromise geometry and ride)
new rear springs (with a big diesel's torque, tall rear blocks are not gonna be a good thing!)

Last edited by Trail Whale; 08-12-2013 at 12:17 PM.