Old 08-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
Trail Whale will become famous soon enough

Honestly ( I know I am going to have a Cummins lynch mob after me for saying this!), unless you have a really heavy load you need to tow, I would go with a Hemi over a Cummins in a 2012. It pains me to say it (I SO love diesels! The sound, the smell, diesel trucks rock!!!) but, the newer (post early 2007, anything with a 6.7) are so boogered up with emissions systems that unless you want to do a whole bunch of (technically illegal for a street driven truck) deletes on them, they really aren't any much better than a Hemi for a person that doesn't truly need the grunt of a diesel. The maintenance and longevity is going to be about the same anymore (unless deletes are done) so, unless you need the grunt that only a diesel can provide, go gas!

Having said that, in the debate between a 1500 Hemi and a 2500 Hemi for towing, go 2500 hands down!!! Yeah, it might not be as fast (heavier truck with mostly the same engine (there's usually a couple tweaks in a HD version of an engine)) BUT, you get bigger brakes, bigger axles, bigger trans cooler, etc- basically you are gaining a LOT of things designed to make the towing of a trailer easier and safer when you step up from a 1500 to a 2500.