View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:74
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Cam: Xtreme Energy™, XE256H and matching springs.
A decent set of headers. If you can pop for a set of ceramic or epoxy-coated ones, that's a plus (keeps underhood temps down). Even the cheapos flow better than those factory logs you have now. The Edelbrock Performer intake will make a nice upgrade. Top it with the Edelbrock Performer AFB or Thunder Series AVS....something around a 600cfm, the AVS comes in a 650. AFB comes in a 600. Either is fine. Unless you're sure of relatively low mileage you should plan on a rebuild. Fresh bearings, gaskets, moly-coated piston rings, new oil pump, and recond heads. Button it up and you'll never have a problem. My first car had a 318. We re-used all the bolt hardware. We ridge-reamed the cylinders and went back with the stock pistons and rings, broke the glaze on the cylinder walls. It was about as low-buck as you could get. A couple years later I added the CompCams High Energy 260 and an old Edelbrock SP2-P intake. The Holley my dad insisted on never was set up right, so later I got an Edelbrock AFB. FINALLY! Man that thing would run. The stock heads and SP2-P intake made it a stump-puller, which translated to great mileage. It had oooomph for getting that car moving, and the 2.76 rear gear kept the revs low. It regularly averaged 19mpg in a '69 Charger. (Over the same route, driving the same way, my then-new 318 Shelby Dakota pickup NEVER saw better than 15mpg and it had every advantage). That was 25 years ago in a then near 20 year old car. No overdrive transmission or lockup converter. No electronic ignition. I still grin when I remember "my therapy." I, on a daily basis, ran the begeesus outta that thing and it never broke. Sure sounded good. That means redline shifts at 5,800rpm. That sounds not-so-exotic, but remember, this was a 1969 engine, and already had over 100K miles when rebuilt. All the stock bolts went back in. That's how well these things were built. Man, what I coulda done with the stuff available today!
Oh, if for some reason you happen to have a roller-cammed 318 (started in 1985 in cars, then phased into trucks a little later, but you never know), I'd use this cam: CompCams Xtreme Energy™, XR258.

Last edited by Gen1dak; 08-13-2013 at 05:51 PM.