Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: St, 4x4, QC,Hemi
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Kyle4236 is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about scrapping a 2nd Gen

Hi guys I'm new and have a 2012 Ram but my questions revolve around a 2nd gen ram that I have no idea what year it is yet.

So the story goes I work inside a steel plant and one of my co workers has a 2nd gen ram 1500 with a 6' bed that was bought to just die inside the plant. Thats kinda what happened, the frame is cracked and the whole truck is sunken in the middle but still together enough to be moved from point A to B under its own power. Due to electrical issues the truck will start up but it died every single night so its sat in one spot for the last year and a half now while he got another beater for the plant. I offered my co worker a couple dollars to buy it from him to part out and cut up and it has no title so it can't be taken to a junkyard so what I don't part out will get cut up and recycled. The recycling company near me offers $.69 per pound of steel.

The engine runs and is one of the V8 options (not sure which yet). The transmission shifts and works, the battery is new and the ecu is good along with the rear differential and drive shafts. Everything else isn't worth even touching since the rest of the truck is in horrible shape. No accidents just beat to hell.

So here's my question:
-Has anyone cut one up for scrap yet?
- how much of the 2nd gens are steel? Frame, bed, doors, body etc....
- what other metals are they if they differ and where are they?
- what would the truck weigh minus the Engine, Trans, differential , drive shaft and all the non metal parts from the truck? Just a educated guess will do

I have torches at my work and plenty of heavy equipment that I run to just pick up the truck and throw it however I want so I'm only interested in just ripping what is worth most out to sell and cutting up the rest.

Thanks guys

Last edited by Kyle4236; 08-13-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored links