Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Pearl blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Roadhog14 is on a distinguished road

This is regarding a 2013 quad cab w/rambox 6' bed 4x4.

I am new to the site but want to comment after just installing my own bakflip f1, I also want to say in case my write up comes off as hostile, it's been several hours since the install, a shower and a meal just to be fare.

I too had the same issues with the latches being wider than the crude metal brackets but only in some locations. The prop rods are cheap but tolerable, the instructions I think are one of the biggest issues. I am a electrician with a large amount of tools at my disposal and they did not solve my difficulties that arose when I relied on proper instructions. The kit has differences from the actual step by step let alone if I would have followed them there would be L brackets where none are needed(no latch/catch) which is the 62" reference for all you about to get a f1, the 44" was also two inches off in my application. I received one two page manual with pictures barely big enough too see and definitely not big/clear enough to show the kind of detail we should get with a $900 item. The front drain cups are extremely tight to the "elevator bolt knobs" so much so that I don't think the double sided tape and silicone that you must supply/install will keep them in place very long. The rear drain cups also had to be trimmed in my kit. The clear drain hoses supplied(4) are all one size, they shouldn't be in my trucks application. I chose to step bit(like a drill bit) the rear hose locations in the bed to a bigger size, yes I drilled my brand new truck for the first time. You may want to check where yours hoses came out underneath as I made sure they pointed down, they won't on their own. My truck has no bedliner only spray in, Bak supplies a seal for trucks without a liner to prevent water entering at the cab end of the bed but they don't bother to show a picture of that at all. In my case there was nothing in the instructions to tell you how to position the cover from front to back whatsoever or any adjustment info period, none. Because of this I decided to lay the cover in place and find the best location/seals tight etc and then tighten the "elevator bolts" as they are the ONLY thing keeping the cover in place for all intensive purposes. My parts that resemble hood or trunk struts where also different as the other member posted a pic of and no where in instructions do they show this either, in one the first steps these ball and socket parts should have been installed so I had to go back and disassemble something already done since Bak is sending parts that don't match their instructions. The bolts to hold the prop rod catch/holder in place when not in use don't actually fit thru the ram factory rails holes as shown, I had to drill these too.

Once I finished I do like the covers appearance and functionality, tonight anyways, need to use it. I had done my research and expected some hiccups during install and new that people where not getting a perfect watertight seal but I've had tonnue covers and didn't want the one piece fiberglass option either. We need constant access to the bed in our field, and occasionally have to carry very large items too.

Had the instructions been vehicle specific install time could be an hour plus, it took me well over two hours,closer to three really, which would be fine if it were expected.

Generally you get what you pay for and I go by that for things like this as I need them to last and the hassle just isn't worth it to me. Hopefully we just got the shaft on the instructions and not the cover as there are others out there for half the price.

If I can help anyone else I will do my best and apologies if this posting lacked the structure I see in many others.

S&b cold air on the way, want a programmer but won't take the chance on bullydog after what I've read here, hoping Diablo will be ready soon., I sent bully's performance an email regarding their add stating they have diablo's for ram thru 2013 but got no response. Thanks to all !!