View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^pvc has it's place. A lot of guys don't like it but it's extremely durable. PVC is almost exclusively used in FL nowadays. Just about every house(and commercial projects) use pvc now. It's easier/cheaper to install, more flexible, and overall cheaper material. You can also join pvc with some water in the line, which makes it ideal for remodel projects. If you've ever tried to sweat copper with a single drop in the pipe you know it's impossible. The only downside to pvc/cpvc is it gets brittle when exposed to UV.

Copper has it's place as well. I'll use copper when I plumb the other bathroom which has a tub. Copper is needed there for structural support.

I highly recommend you NEVER use a sharkbite, or any other non permanent fitting in an inaccessible area such as this(behind the wall). Sharkbites are ok, but are the "easy" and expensive way out. More like a bandaid. They do work ok, but only use them where they can be seen(such as hot water tanks, under cabinets for sinks, etc). Don't hide them in walls where they can't be accessed.

I have a good amount of experience with pvc and when we used to install plumbing on swimming pools over several years of doing jobs we never had a single leak when pressure testing. The only leaks we ever had were due to failed jet caps.

You'll also notice that the problem area I had was a threaded COPPER connection....

FWIW, if the supply lines coming up through the slab would have been copper I would have plumbed with copper. If it'd have been PEX I would have used PEX. Since it was CPVC, I used CPVC. The key is to be versatile and know what to use, when, and where.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Last edited by snrusnak; 08-14-2013 at 10:47 PM.