Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
herc is on a distinguished road

I have one on my '11 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and it does fine. I also had one on my last 1500 Ram, a '98 Quad Cab. Actually, I still have both, but the old one's at a cottage.

The '98 was a bit beefier in the font, and handled a Boss 7'6" Standard duty very nicely. I never did anything like commercial plowing with it, just driveways. But, it did an awesome job, and could get through some pretty deep and nasty stuff.

The '11 is squishier and normally quite a bit lower in the front end, so I went lighter duty and got a Western HTS. There are some things I like better on the older Boss, but the HTS does fine.

As far as I know, the only bumper mods made on the '11 were to the lower fascia piece, which had to be cut a bit. One of the major advantages on the Western, compared to the Boss though, is that the Western has separate receiver pieces that can come off. It only takes a couple seconds to take them off, so I always do. When the plow and receivers are off, the front end doesn't look all that much different than it did before. The frame on the boss, on the other hand, is a big honkin' chunk of frame that hangs down under the bumper.

The HTS is also a LOT lighter, and that's really nice driving it around. To tell you the truth, driving around with the plow on isn't a whole lot different than it feels with it off. The boss was a beast in that regard. It weighs about 650 pounds, and it's hanging way out in front of the truck. The HTS is about 450 pounds.

In addition to being a little lighter gauge steel for the blade, it's also mounted quite a bit closer to the truck. That means it also can't be raised as high, and doesn't turn as far side to side. At first, I was concerned that I wasn't going to be able to stack snow as well, but this past winter, I ended up with some piles that were taller than me. You just need to get a little more creative in how you go about it.

I did have to put a leveling kit on the front of the '11 which I really didn't want, but oh well. The truck is too low without it, and made attaching and detaching really difficult. My plow dealer did the install, the level kit, and also put Timbrens on the front springs. I don't think I'd ever do a plow again without the Timbrens. They really smooth things out and help carry it. Again, as it's set up now, the front hardly settles at all when the plow is raised. I think the Bilsteins would be better than the level kit, but I think I'd still get the Timbrens. They didn't cost all that much.

The only thing about the Western that I don't like is that doesn't rotate vertically on its center very well. When you turn the plow to one side, and then drop it, the low side hits first, and then kind of torques the truck a bit. Sitting still, the other side actually sits up in the air a bit. As soon as you start moving, there's plenty of pressure to get the high side down, so you don't leave snow or anything like that. I think the real problem there is twofold. First, the front end is still on the lower end of height that makes for level plowing. Second, I know that the installer didn't get everything completely straight. If I had to guess, a better install would've corrected what I'm seeing.

When it snows, I put it on, plow about 3 driveways, and take it off. On/off is really easy and very quick. Not as automatic as the boss, but simpler, more reliable, and actually faster.

Overall, a 1500 certainly isn't as sturdy as a 2500, but you just need to use common sense. Slow and steady, and don't plan on using it to make a living. Check out the videos on the Western site. I can assure you that mine will do everything they show in the video, no sweat.