Old 08-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodga Dakota Quad Sport
Color: Charcoal
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
HotDakota is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant out of the overflow vent

I noticed you were thinking your coolant miught be getting lost out of the overflow tank neck - here is what I found, I posted a bunch of stuff over on the jaymiller thread, but I was pushing coolant out of the overflow due to warped heads and poorly torqued head gaskets - no other leaks, no coolant in the oil or vice versa, no white smoke, nothing peculiar, just disappearing coolant, being pushed out as I drove under load.

Had the local dodge dealer do a block test to see if I had combustion gases in the coolant, and it did - proof positive of a cracked head, blown gasket, warped head or some head/block problem.

Pulled the heads, pressure tested them for cracks (none, thank goodness), had them milled flat again, new fel-pro gaskets and head bolts, put it all together and it seems to have solved the problem.

The definitive test is the block test - you can get a test kit at NAPA for $38, or talk your dodge dealer into doing it for $20 like I did. That will tell you if you have a head problem (at least with your engine....)

Good luck.