Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:70
edge35 will become famous soon enough
Default Uconnect...arrrgggghhhhhh!

So after I had my 8.4AN replaced I was no longer able to check the Uconnect website for software updates. Each time I tried to enter the last 8 digits of my VIN I got an "Invalid VIN" error. Others on here had the same issue but said it just took a little time for Uconnect to update their database with the new radio's info. Well, after a couple months I got tired of waiting so I wrote Chrysler and here's what they said:

"After reviewing your concern with the uConnect website, the reason why
we are getting an error when entering the VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, is
because there are no updates for your RA4S uConnect 8.4AN
AM/FM/BT/Access/NAV radio available on the website. It has nothing to do
with having a replacement radio. We would have to direct you to the
dealer for any updates.

Thank you for your patience while we looked into your concern.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to
contact us via email or by phone at 1-800-423-6343.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Crystal

Customer Service Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center"

Oh really?

Do they think I'm an idiot or do they actually believe what they just wrote?

So I responded and gave them a numbered list that I requested they respond to:
1. How come before the radio was replaced I used to get a message that said "No updates are available". Is Chrysler saying that in the week my truck was in the shop they changed the way the Uconnect website handles letting customers know there are no software updates available?
2. If I use the last 8 digits of the VIN from a vehicle on my dealer's lot right now the Uconnect site gives the old "No updates are available" message. Is Chrysler saying that some owners get this logical message while others, like myself, are forced to interpret Invalid VIN as meaning the same thing?
3. How come others that have had this issue contacted either Chrysler and/or their dealer and, after the new radio info was retransmitted, the website started working as before once again?
4. If owners really have to take their vehicles to the dealer to have the radio software checked for updates why does it even offer the option to check on the Uconnect website? Why did my salesman make it a point to mention that updates were user installable?
5. Why would any reasonable person think that an error message stating "Invalid VIN" simply means there are no software updates available for their radio? Why should I not find the fact that you expect me to believe this insulting to my intelligence?

My radio seems to be working properly so there's no issue there. But what if a future software update comes out that actually adds new functionality (not that I'm holding my breath)? If I followed their advice I'd never know about unless I checked the various Internet forums or constantly called my dealer's service department. Lucky for me that I have this site since it is now my only resource for knowing when updates are available.

Honestly, I can't tell if the people who came up with the message I quoted above are either stupendously incompetent or just blatantly lied. Either way their customer support failures are more troubling than me not being able to check for software updates.
6 speed (although the 65RFE is really a 5 speed), 3.55, air suspension, anti-spin, 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires (aka crap), sunroof, Bakflip Fibermax & BakBox, bed extender, 8.4AN, black/cattle tan interior
Sponsored links