View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

I know Chrysler used the 727 behind their 5.9 Cummins diesel until a beefed 518 came available. Anyway, don't know of any articles, but it's pretty simple. If you're going to use the fuel injection, you will need to notch the bellhousing as is on the 518 for the crank sensor to see the flexplate exciter. You will need to use the Magnum flexplate for the fuel injection. The 727 bolts right in place, including the starter, fluid lines, and kickdown mechanism, which must be hooked up or you will burn the transmission up quickly. You will need a driveshaft about 4 inches longer. Also, due to the length, the transmission crossmount is different, requiring an older matching crossmember, or removal of the extension. It depends on the vehicle. I've seen newer units that are re-dimensioned for the different transmission, and I've seen the same decades-old crossmember with an extension bolted to it to accommodate the change. The 5.2 is internally balanced, but the factory 5.9 is not and requires external weight. Traditionally, Mopar put that weight on the torque converter. The 5.9 Magnum uses less weight than the pre-Magnum "LA" 5.9/360 so keep that in mind. The "front three" gears on the 518 (essentially the 727) are controlled hydraulically, so as long as the kickdown linkage is in place, it'll run fine. Use the speedo unit from the OD transmission on the 727. If you don't mind a check engine code from the computer not finding an OD, you're good to go. Only issues are if you use a lockup 727 or the much more common non-lockup unit. If a 5.9 Magnum, use the torque converter for the A518 '89-92 for a non-lockup 727. If a lockup and a 5.9 Magnum, you will need a lockup converter for the 727 (mechanical lockup, not electric like the OD units), balanced for the Magnum. A little more tedious, but not a big deal. SMR and other shops sell balance plates that can be bolted in to achieve proper balance. No balance weights needed for the 318/5.2 LA/Magnum.