Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Thought I would add my thoughts on Bakflip:
(This post is not meant to be taken as hostile; I have owned one and have a right to review)
For the record, the Bakflip I had installed was not on a RAM; it was on a GMC Canyon (smaller truck, same concept)

I had my cover installed locally (so as to retain warranty, etc.) I know the installation process is quite simple though. I thought I had done my research, and I thought I was thorough...apparently I was not.
Almost immediately, I had issues with the cover. The one thing I disliked was how the cover "flipped" onto itself. The rubber strip (on either side, the one that runs the length of the cover) began to wear. I figured it wouldn't be long before it split apart. I - like other posters here - didn't care for the rudimentary brackets, etc. Cheap design.
I hated the positioning rods...who employs rubber "C" grommets? They have a good idea..they just fail to deliver on the quality of the product.
I had to call Bakflip personally to complain. The owner said he would send out a replacement set of gaskets (but I would have to install them.) I said No Way! That's why I paid to have the cover installed in the first place. Eventually got the installation company to fix...but then they said "No", they would just order in a new cover. Fine by me. That's when things went South. The positioning rods didn't align properly. Guy takes it off and tries drilling new holes. He missed and went through the aluminium rail instead. Then he cuts one of the rods down to compensate for his mess. In the end I made them replace it with another new kit.
I eventually sold that truck, and was replaced with my current RAM. I did not go with another Bakflip product (once bitten, twice shy). Instead, I went with the OEM Dodge 3-panel cover. I know.. I know.. it's not really OEM...it's made for DODGE. But it is better (IMHO) than the bakflip. I believe it was cheaper too.

I'm not knocking those of you that have or are considering a Bakflip product. It wasn't for me. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone either. IMHO I feel the rubber gasket that runs the length of the cover (on the outside) looks too "Home-made". They have a good product, too bad they couldn't make a GREAT product.

Cheers!!