Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Beige
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Scramblurr is on a distinguished road
Default 4.7L overheating when idling and misfire #7

As the title states, I have a misfire and overheating. The truck threw a P0307 code initially. I cleared it out hoping it was just random, but it came back a few days later. I had to take a 600 km trip on the weekend, and I had no issues with hesitation and no misfire.

On Saturday, I was driving and the truck started heating up rapidly when at a light. Once I started moving again, the temperature started to drop to normal. I was able to get back to where I was staying with no issues.

Sunday, I checked fluids and noticed there was a drop in the coolant level. I refilled and drove home. While stopped, the truck would still overheat. Once moving again it was fine, and I could drive for hours with no problems. Soon as I stopped at a light, overheat time.

Aside from ignoring traffic signals and pretending nothing has happened, I am not sure where to start to diagnose this. I plan on checking the plugs and wires, then compression on the cylinder. Could these two problems be related? Is there a way to check the fan clutch and the thermostat without too much trouble/cost?
Sponsored links