Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:28
randomid25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I'm not even sure that would be useful to have 500 ft/lbs in a 1/2 ton. By the time you beefed up the suspension, diffs, etc... enough to give it a tow rating that took advantage of all that power you'd basically have a 3/4 ton
My thoughts as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wythefan View Post
Nissan better worry about a transmission to handle 500ftlb of torque...that's about twice as much as their V-8 gasser...Motor may be bulletproof but tranny might be pile of junk.
Yep. I think Ram did the right thing with the ecodiesel. The truck is capable of working with every bit of the power that's there. Between the cost of this engine from cummins, the price of the trans upgrade, Nissan might just price themselves out of the market with this one. Also, this engine is a little heavy for a half ton truck (710lbs according to diesel power). I really don't understand why cummins didn't develop/pursue the 4.2l v6 that was based on this same architecture. It had plenty of HP/TQ in a lighter and, most likely, more fuel efficient engine. The 5.0 doesn't seem to make good financial sense, at least with what info is available at the moment. It won't be strong enough to put it in an HD truck and be competitive. It's really overkill for a 1500. IDK, I guess we'll see.

Kudos to Diaz for making this move though. I think it shows he's serious about bringing Nissan trucks back from the brink.

Last edited by randomid25; 08-21-2013 at 01:12 AM.