View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The first gen 4.7L (2007 and older) has 8 spark plugs. The second gen 4.7L (2008 and newer) has 16 spark plugs. The 5.7L hemi also has 16 spark plugs.

Changing the plugs on the 08+ 4.7L isn't very hard, the only thing that's tricky is the upper bank plugs can get siezed to the coil boots and the boots rip. Then you have to fight to get the ripped boot out and then have to replace the coil at ~$20/ea as the boots aren't sold separately(although someone said NAPA now carries them but I didn't confirm).

If you're boots rip, take a piece of copper pipe(like for home plumbing), it's either 3/8" or 1/2", I don't recall off hand, and use it to push between the ripped boot and the plug. This will break the "seal", and then you can use needle nose pliers to pull the ripped boots out. This is typically only an issue if you go past the recommended maintenance interval.

08+ 4.7L uses different plugs on the upper and lower banks, make sure you get the correct plugs. Also it has different maintenance intervals for each 8.

Also forgot for the upper bank you need a thinwall spark plug socket else it won't fit. I had to take my thinwall socket and grind it down even thinner.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.