Old 08-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
tev9999 is on a distinguished road

How far away is this dealer? One thing I have found is that many dealers will tell you anything by phone or e-mail just to get you in the door. They figure if you will make a 100 mile drive to get there, you will probably cave when they add on some BS fee or jack the price up.

The fact that 19 of 20 dealers rejected your terms is a red flag. When I was shopping I gave them the "3% off invoice or don't bother", I had about 15 of 40 or so dealers that were willing to play. Sales are up and inventory is down, so they don't need to give the same offers right now. Flat out rejection by 95% of the dealers tells me you are asking for too much off.

If you decide to deal. Make them give you all numbers in writing up front and make it clear you will walk if anything is off by one cent.

Arrange your own financing ahead of time and make it a cash sale as far as the dealer is concerned - that way they can't play any financing games. You can give them a chance to beat your preapproved rate, but don't let them run your credit until the day you are taking the truck home.

Personally, if I was ordering I would find a dealer I liked and maybe pay a little more. If you drop your demand to 2.5% you are probably talking about $200. It is not worth the hassle of driving across the country and dealing with a jerk salesperson to save that little amount of money.