View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasthemiram11 View Post
To transengineer...
What is the HP/tq capability of the 66rfe? Also is it Plagued by the same mushy shifting that burns up clutches faster than normal in higher torque applications.

The 545 uses double sided clutches.. Does the 66 use the same or single sided ones like the 68
1. Sorry, we do not publish horsepower and torque capacity ratings for our transmissions. Obviously, those limits are greater than or equal to the HP and torque of the production engines with which they are used.

2. The shift controls for the 66RFE are basically similar to the 65RFE (except, of course, for using all 6 gears during normal operation). I would note that you should probably expect clutches to burn up "faster than normal in higher torque applications," especially if by "higher torque" you mean levels that exceed the holding capacity of the clutches. Even at lower levels, higher torque = more heat generated during a speed change = higher clutch temperature = earlier failure.

3. The 66RFE uses double-sided input clutches (UD, OD, and Reverse) like the 545RFE/65RFE. It uses a single-sided LR clutch pack, common with the 68RFE. I would also note that starting in 2014 MY, the 66RFE will use a (double-sided) OD clutch pack with thicker separator plates, for greater heat capacity.