View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:215
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
Awesome project.

I wish I found this thread last week so what I am about to tell you isn't as painful as it is going to be....

Those seams in the ceiling need to be staggered. You don't want a 4 corner situation as that will be a large source of cracking in the near future. You want a screws spaced every 12" roughly but that spacing is local code dependent I've found (Cali wants them closer together due to Earthquakes). This is my "go to reference" every time I do a drywall job which is few and far between thankfully....
Yes, I understand. Just this damn house is so awkwards, 18", 20", 24" centers, nothing is square... its just crazy. I got the kitchen off set/staggered as it was uniform, but the living room, the joists were so far apart ( it looked like more/closer ) but those are 1x's and they are not as wide as the joists ( a good 1" or so too shallow ) so I decided, it was easier and faster to do it this way and later I am going to install fake wood beams for support as well as decorative western looks.
I am ahead on the screws, it calls for 1-12 which is 4 screws across the sheet, I am actually putting 5 across for added support. I appreciate your eye on the matter, sometimes I overlook things, but this was actually best or there would have been a lot of waste in drywall which I cant afford at this time. I thought to screw up some 2x4x16 ( room is 33' long ) to make a solid mounting surface for the drywall but that would have taken too long as well as more money I don't have. I can always redo this down the road after I move in. But I think it is pretty tight as there are additional screws where needed for some stress points. Time will tell. At least its just the one room, all the other rooms seem to be uniform.