Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman QC 4x2
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:30
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMW View Post
Has anyone put synthetic in their new RAM w/ pentastar engine? Manual states to use conv oil, but I imagine snythetic would not cause any issues. Any opinions or actual results with using synthetic???

Where do you see the recommendation for conventional oil. My manual states:

Quote:
We recommend you use API certified 5W-20 engine oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395. Refer to you oil filler cap for correct SAE grade.
Nothing about not using synthetic or only using conventional. I found this on the Mobile 1 site:

Quote:
Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395
Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?
-- Josh Eads, Cabot, AR
Answer:
Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.
It is probably the cost and time that keeps oil manufacturers from "meeting" this standard.

Here is a spec sheet for Valvoline oils showing that they meet the Chrysler standard.