Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1992 Dodge Ram D250/350 Conv.
Trim Level: LE
Color: Two Tone Grey
Engine: 1989-1993 360ci (5.9L) Cummins diesel I6 160hp 400lb/ft
Rep:10
Mavericke is on a distinguished road
Default Need a new TURBO for my 1992 D250 5.9L Diesel... help!

So I noticed my turbo wasn't whistling very loud... then I realized it wasn't whistling at all! I had a buddy look at it and he could tell when I pulled up that my turbo just isn't working. He said it would make a HUGE difference in performance. My thoughts are "Does the extra 70-80hp the turbo gives it REALLY give it that much more power???"

Can you guys chime in here for me? Is there a definitive way to test my turbo? I pulled the breather off and you could still barely hear it whistle. The turbine seemed to spin inside but a friend of mine seems to thing that the fins on the backside are probably totally gone from all the heavy hauling done with the truck over the years. It's very clearly the original turbo still on the truck. Probably never been pulled off for anything and the PO hauled huge tractors on a 5th wheel setup with a trailer not much smaller than an actual semi-trailer.

Thoughts??

I work at Autozone and even with my discount - a new one is going to cost me around $700. I've seen some on eBay for around $300 but seriously... can't there be a decently priced used (but GOOD) Turbo for sale somewhere???

And if/when I replace the Turbo and it doesn't really give me the "ballz" I expect... where do I go from there to "tune" it up? Injectors? tranny/rear end?

Last edited by Mavericke; 08-27-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Sponsored links