View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

I'd rather have a selectable locker that is open when not locked, than an LSD rear, myself. With decent tires, 4WD and traction control, getting stuck on the street is pretty much a non-issue. So I can live without an LSD on the street and hardly ever miss it. But it doesn't need to be "hardcore" off road to benefit from a locker. Pretty much anytime an LSD would be nice off road, a locker is better. Deep snow is one good example. Nothing hardcore about it, commonly encountered, a locker absolutely rules over an LSD in deep snow. Any kind of slow terrain with articulation, locker worlds better than an LSD. Any kind of potential getting stuck in mud situation, again, nothing hardcore and happens all the time, a locker is worlds better than an LSD.

So, yeah, if the choice is between open all the time or an LSD, or course I'd take the LSD. But for me, I wouldn't have to think twice before taking a locker that was open when not locked over an LSD.

Best of both worlds is a LSD with a selectable locker. The locker in the rear of my Jeep is a gear driven LSD when not locked. Which sounds awesome, and kind of is. But... Downside of that particular one (factory TJ/Rubi), is it's a weak two pinion design. It will probably grenade one of these days and when it does I'll probably just go ARB for a replacement, which is open when not locked. For now though, while it lasts, the LSD/locker is a pretty sweet diff.

Did not mean to be so long winded. Just really wish Ram would offer a factory selectable locker option like the other truck makers do. They do in the Power Wagon of course, but I mean the 1500's.

- DAA