Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited 6'4"
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
astonius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I can't agree with many of their findings which helps me to relaize how subjective these tests are. I am damn picky when it comes to vehicles.

This is my real world experience that involves living with a truck, not racing it. I had intended on buying a Ford 150 and then perhaps look at the RAM and the Chevy. I have two coworkers who have the following trucks and I have driven them both. Both are 4 door, both are 4wd, both are 2012, one is a chevy and the other a ford. Both have a v8 with mid level trim.

I drove both and thought I liked the ford better because it was more responsive but it annoyed me that it takes 500 turns of the electronic steering to park it and it seems to lumber on rough roads. I was dissapointed in the ride of the chevy because I felt like it drove just like trucks drove 10 years ago and the interior was so cheap feeling. At that point, I had not considered the RAM and was trying to decide if I was even going to buy a new truck or wait for these companies to update their vehicles. I wasn't going to drop $30k - $40k on eithe of them.

Then, for the hell of it, I dropped by my local RAM dealer and jumped into a crew cab, 4wd, hemi, 8 speed with a few goodies (no leather or the top of the line gagets). I was so impressed with the way it drove and the features it had that in my mind, it felt as if the truck was 5 years ahead in technology, features and overall driveability.

I ended up buying one (see signature below) but then I started to wonder if I got caught up in it and if I made the right call. So, I had those same guys ride with me in my RAM to lunch and they were both saying things like "whoh, that's cool", "this is great", and "mine doesn't have that" and "you only paid what for this?". I then asked to ride in their trucks over the next few weeks and I was thinking, "Uhhh, yeah, I made the right call. These trucks don't hold a candle to mine."

So, from a non biased manufacturer guy, the choice was night and day for me.
I had a similar experience. Ever since test driving a Platinum 2012 F-150 with the EcoBoost I was dead set on buying that truck. When the 2013s came out with MyFord Touch, HID projectors, and the new grilles I was even more sold. The 2014 Chevys looked intriguing, so I told myself I would at least test drive one just to write it off. Ram never once came into my mind. I had heard too many Ram owners get ribbings from their Ford and Chevy friends. Well, it came time to finally buy. I test drove the Ford once again and loved it, thought it was everything I wanted. Then I read about Ram being the "MotorTrend 2013 Truck of the Year". I thought back to a couple of years ago when, just for fun, I test drove a 2012 Dodge Charger. Remembering how nice the ride and interior of that car was I thought to myself "Chrysler has made some serious strides in the past three years. Couldn't hurt to test drive a new Ram." I was not a fan of the exterior at all, but I hopped in the 2013 Laramie cabin and was blown away. The layout, quality of materials, and feature set were worlds above the Ford I had my heart set on. Then I drove it. The 8-speed shifts were buttery smooth. The power was smooth; not as fast off the line as the EcoBoost, but adequate. The touchscreen was much more responsive. The EVIC looked much better and had so many more features than the instrument cluster in the Ford. I was completely swayed. This was the definition of a luxury truck, which was exactly what I was looking for. I decided I would also drive the 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71 just to make sure I wasn't making the same judgments I had made previously about the Ram. The Chevy was a massive improvement over its predecessor, and even surpassed the Ford, but it still wasn't on par with the Ram, which is why I ended up ordering a 2014 Limited. Friends are giving me lots of flack over it, but they're the ones who wrote Ram off years ago and haven't even looked at the current model years as objectively as I have.