Old 08-30-2013, 02:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:36
arrownine1 is on a distinguished road

I install both the Cat back and the Muffler only at my shop all the time. I constantly have people come in and when I price the cat back they leave and go to the guy up the street and he installs the Muffler and dual pipes only for about half of what I charge for the cat back system. Here is the difference. The mid pipe on the cat back is made from stainless steel and once it seasons, it helps produce a cleaner, more aggressive tone when used in combination with the Magnaflow muffler. Different metals produce different tones. It's why no one ever made a trumpet out of mild grade steel. Secondly, these guys that bend pipes don't really have the ability to flow test their wonderful creations to insure that both sides allow for equal and adequate exhaust flow. Magnaflow, on the other hand, has invested millions in their designs and do exactly that. Lastly, Magnaflow tail pipes are also made from stainless steel and once again we are back to the whole Steel trumpet issue. Magnaflow components are warrantied for life. I installed a Magnaflow Cat Back System on a SRT8 300 about 5 years ago. Last year a weld on the muffler cracked and I called my supplier. ( Mind you, this guy drives this car in a way that ruins a set of tires every two months and cooks the brakes off of it twice a year. ) Three days later I didn't just get a new muffler from them, they shipped the entire Cat Back system. Joe Cracker at Ed's Mufflers isn't gonna give you that warranty on his galvanized rust magnet pipes or his pitting prone chrome 18" tips. I have the Cat back on my 2003 and a couple of months back one of my old customers that thought he got a great deal from Muffler King because he was told I was trying to rip him off because the pipes were the same, heard my truck at the 7-11. He wanted to know what I had in my truck and I told him it was the Cat back he had me order for him and then never showed up for. he said that my truck sounded way better than his and that he wished I had told him there was going to be a difference. I informed him in a very blunt way that " I did! You didn't listen!"