View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:161
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

^ how do i fix it.

That's kind of a loaded question. The first response to that is are you mechanically inclined? do you have a decent set of tools? third - do you really want to learn how to do the maintainence?

If the answer to all 3 is yes. Then - not to sound like a turd, but you should really get a repair manual or do some reading on how the eingine systems work. Everyone has to start from somewhere too, so no worries. I remember when I had to ask for help with getting the air filter cover off my first car.

Vaccuum leaks and high idle symptoms sometimes can be quite the beast to diagnose. Sometimes they can come and go and it feels like chasing monkeys hopped up on meth around your truck. It can be anything from a bad MAF to a vaccum leak caused by bad hoses and/or gaskets, bad IAC, bad TPS. I had a bad TPS once that messed up idle AND shifting somehow.

Yes, you cold post question after question and lots of people here would be happy to help you, but the time involved with waiting and going back and forth might drive you insane, not to mention you'd just be throwing parts at it yourself and hoping something sticks.

Having a manual handy and doing a bit of detective work on your end will help us help you make a better diagnosis. Plus, when someone suggests R&R of a part or a system, you'll have a reference to work from.

Now to the meat of the question. If it were me looking at it. first I would check the obvious sources of vaccuum leaks. the hoses, and the gaskets. Since it's a 2001, I'd lean toward the intake gasket as a likely source. next likely a hose, then I'd move onto sensors. Look for cracks, weak spots, soot deposits, kinks in lines. For example: A spray bottle with water can help tons diagnosing a bad gasket. spray the gasket contact area with a mist of water, if the idle suddenly drops. there's your leak. IF nothing happens, move to another area and repeat.

Livin life one truck payment at a time.

Last edited by anothernewb; 08-30-2013 at 10:04 AM.