Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by country-boy View Post
I did a fairly simple trade-off between the diesel and the gas. I started with average prices for gas & diesel, both local and national. Then used my personal average miles per year (about 18k). For the Hemi, I used 17 mpg, for the ED I used 28 mpg.
It shows breaking even on the cost of the ED in just over 2 years, and then saving $1300-$1400 a year after that. If I keep the truck 8 years (which is conservative for me), I'll save $7k-$8k. That's nothing to sneeze at!
The towing stats seem to be a wash vs. the Hemi. If the performance is anything even close, then I'm in.

Here's what I see in this:

You used the mpg for city rating for the hemi but then used estimated highway mpg for the ecodiesel.

If you are expecting 28 mpg average out of the ecodiesel in the ram, I think you are going to be disappointed.

Look at it this way:

The Jeep GC with the Ecodiesel has an EPA rating of
21 city
28 highway

And that's in the several hundred pound lighter, more aerodynamic Jeep.
It's also with 3.45 axle ratio.

I believe the Ram with the Ecodiesel gets a 3.55
Though that difference is small, it means the engine will be turning a bit more at the same speeds.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Ram gets the same
21/28 EPA rating, but they'll get that in the base model Ram with the Ecodiesel, an option very few people except work only/business truck owners will choose.

Get a QC or CC and some options and you add another few hundred pounds on.

I think realistically, in "normal" mix driving conditions in a Ram 1500 QC or CC you'll see 23-24 mpg average. But since the Ecodiesel Ram will be quite slow compared to other trucks (even the Pentastar will outrun it when it's unloaded), you may get into the throttle a bit heavier than normal, so you may actually be in the 22-23 mpg average range. Just sayin.
Oh and I currently own a diesel automobile. Unless I drive it like I'm driving Miss Daisy, I don't get the rated EPA highway mileage. But I do, on average, get closer to the highway rating than I do city rating, but that's still driving it on the lighter side than I do with my gas powered vehicles.