View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
They are telling the truth for the most part, Dino oil has come a long ways and some recent UOA's have proven it is now lasting as well as protecting pretty close to synthetic numbers.

No doubt Syn is good oil but that also depends on who's you purchase??
Some excellent things to think about in your post and all well presented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
The only factor, and a cogent one, that you've overlooked, incidentally, is that there is virtually NO mechanical wear when you run synthetic oil.
Whoa, whoa, whoa there big fella! As a simple blanket statement, which is how you presented it, that is patently false. Incorrect. Wrong!

It very much depends on WHICH engine and WHICH synthetic oil. Not all engines are engineered the same and not all oils (synth or dino) are engineered the same either.

A synthetic which might provide superb wear protection for one engine, just might kill the lobes on a flat tappet motor in a hurry, especially considering the very low levels of ZDDP's in most synthetics.

What I took away from Irv's post, and I'm in agreement with him on this, is that there really isn't any need for "opinion" or speculation on this subject. There is data, science, facts, all available for the very low cost of regular UOA's that you can use.

Personally, I'll take a few UOA's over all the opinions, anecdotal evidence and internet expertise in the world.

- DAA