Old 09-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
mcompton1973 is on a distinguished road
Default 200k miles...what maint. would you do?

I will be honest. I am NOT the worlds best preventative maintenance guy. But my truck is about to hit 200k miles. I bought it a little over a year ago with about 150k and use it to travel as a salesman. Almost all miles are highway. I had planned on trading it off (normally I only drive Fords), and finally just realized that it seems solid. In 15 months I have had to put gas in, and change oil, and replace one wheel bearing (I know i should have done both but money didnt allow for it at the time. I cant ask for a lot more than that...but MPGs are starting to drop...and I figure if I get all the maintenance back up I will get some of that pep and mpgs back.

Should I switch to full synthetic oil?

I know I need shocks. Any other front end things I should test for? I am putting breaks on tomorrow, so any quick little 'tests' I can do I will while I have it on a jack stand.

Flush Transmission? Radiator? Any other fluids you would mess with?

Also I know I need spark plugs and wires. I know there are 16. Is there a consensus best brand of plugs or wires? I am hoping they have been done once before...but I really dont know.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored links