Vehicle: 2004 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:91
hriczko806 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpensiveToys View Post
I didn't say you shouldn't mod, I said the 180 thermostat hurt performance, economy and longevity of the 2011+ hemi's with MDS. Because of the way the computers in the 2011+ manage the thermal state of the engine you will receive a loss in performance and fuel economy until engine gets up to operating temp as defined in the programming. If engine can't maintain the proper temp you will continue to see drops in performance and economy when engine temp drops.

None of the tuners compensate for that as its programming they can't change. They don't mess with the engine thermal management profiles other than allow you to tweak fan on/off temps which is just a threshold value. They don't modify the MDS parameter tables (other than flipping the on/off flag) or the other half dozen parameters that would need to be modified to make the engine not fight the lower temp stat.

So unless you live in 100 heat year round, drive with your foot always to the floor, or have some flame thrower under the hood that keeps engine up around 190+ then its best to stay away from the 180 stats on 2011 and newer models with MDS. As for most people it equates to an instant loss of performance and fuel economy outside of the summer months.

It's the same thing with non-thermostatic transmission coolers. Cooler isn't always better. Its about a 2% drop in fuel economy alone if tranny is running at 140 degrees vs 190 degrees. So people put in transmission coolers that over cool the trannies and see sluggish shift response and lower fuel economy. The myth of cooler is always better, is just a myth.

Well said!

Again, cooler is not always better but that doesnt mean let it run hot. Be smart about it. If youre towing you gear mods for towing, if youre racing you gear mods towards racing, off roading you gear mods for off roading. So saying a 180 T-Stat is something you should just throw on for performance is wrong. You WILL change the way youre engine runs. Your engine will try to compensate and maintain the temp its programmed to. How do you think it will do this? More fuel? Look it up.

Same thing with a CAI. They are the biggest waste of money. If you look at the research they wont do anything for a stock car in most cases. In fact in some scenarios it hurt performance on stock.

My point is that a 180 T-Stat is not something I would install as a performance mod on a stock vehicle. If you want to try it go ahead. Let us know what you think. At the end of the day its your truck. You can always switch back if you change your mind.