Old 09-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:91
hriczko806 will become famous soon enough

I agree that the engine is more efficient when cool, just not too cool, and IMO the trans normal operating temp at 190 is way too high. I even agree that these engines, from factory, are very restricted. What I'm saying is if you do a mod like a thermostat by itself, without any supporting mods, don't expect a very positive outcome in the long run. The engine will try to bring he engine back up to temp and run rich. That's never good.

I have a diablosport tune on mine and love the performance increase. I also put a trans temp gauge in there to monitor the trans. Usually it'll run around 100 degrees unless I'm towing or it's unusually hot out. I plan on doing exhaust, throttle body, etc. So I agree that go don't want anything too hot in your truck and I'm all for modding the truck.

I just consider a thermostat, by itself, in the same category as a CAI (with no supporting mods), a torsion key level kit, turbo timers, etc. Unless you have a high performance engine or mods to support the 180 T-Stat it's a waste of money. So far no one has proven otherwise to change my change my mind.