Old 09-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: True Blue Peal/Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:92
dawoodsman will become famous soon enough

I have never seen any claims by carfax that their information is totally complete or even totally accurate. I HAVE seen bitter, bitter complaints by car dealers about them a number of times. In some cases their bitterness is clear--Carfax has cost them $$!

The only thing that smells about this auto dealers lawsuit is the claims of price fixing. Toss the book at them if that's true, but forgive me if I have a hard time thinking car dealers claims are trustworthy or that theyhave the consumers best interests at heart!

It like anything else that isn't perfect. Those that don't like them will harp about the imperfections, those that don't know about their problems will get burned, and those that use them with eyes wide open will find them useful at times.

I have used autocheck because it's cheaper, they are run by experian I think, one of the large credit reporting agencies. I do like the more detailed history carfax supplies however.

Only time I got burned on a used car would not have been caught by any of them--and was likely perpetrated by a body shop/used car huckster before it got to the dealer I bought it from. Very good condition clean/clean title car had a different cat converter on it, most likely because said shop took it off and sold it or someone stole it and the shop tried to sneak a similar one on. Problem was it wasn't close enough to stock to avoid tossing codes endlessly and even cut mileage a tad--and the OEM replacement was NOT cheap (probably why the original was gone in the first place).

Illegal as hell in my state but no way to prove who did it or hold anyone responsible. I bet those responsible hate carfax though! :-)