Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: bright white
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:24
hattitude is on a distinguished road

3000 mile oil change is from the 70's.......... The service manager should know better, he is trying to drum up business by charging you for services not needed. I'd find another dealer if he is the service manager!!

Today's oils and engines can go much farther before an oil change. The oils are better. They have much better additive packages. The engines are better, producing far less oil damaging blow-by. If you use a synthetic oil, you'd be ahead of the curve. A lot of people just don't think the added cost of synthetics are worth the benefits in a daily driver car/truck.

The oil life monitor measures parameters like stop & go driving, freeway driving, frequent stops & starts without good warmup, and uses that to decide oil life %.

I believe the manual says use the oil life monitor or 7500 miles maximum.....

I would trust the oil life monitor (or 7500mi) with one caveat, I change my oil when the monitor gets below 10%, or 7500 miles, or at a one year interval.....

Bottom line, if you really want to know for your specific engine and oil you use ..... let the oil monitor get below 10% and send a sample to Blackstone Labs. They make it easy and convenient. Then you'll know for sure if your doing good by your engine. I'd be willing to bet, barring an engine issue, you'll be fine.

Just my 2 cents............ good luck with your decision....

Last edited by hattitude; 09-06-2013 at 11:18 AM.