Thread: 2006 Issues
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge ram
Rep:10
mk1807 is on a distinguished road
Default 2006 Issues

Ok guys, this is my first post on this forum, but im not stranger to forums or Vehicles. Im looking at a 2006 ram 2500, with the 5.7 Hemi, to purchase. The engine is making a "ticking" or "knocking". The guy im getting it from has had it for a few week and has put about 1000 miles on it. He said the noise hasnt gotten any worse in that 1k miles (truck has 150k on it). Im on the fence about weather or not its a bottom end noises or a lifter (or something similar) in the head. Im going into the deal thinking worst case scenario (new engine) but would love to be able to fix whats wrong with the current engine.

The CEL was on and it showed a misfire on cyl1. The truck does have an obvious miss at idle, but runs great otherwise. I am curious if this "ticking" could be caused by the misfire. I know a misfire can cause a knock or tick, but im not sure if thats an issue with the 5.7. The sound is there through out acceleration but when you get up to cruising speed its less noticeable. When ya drive the truck you can definitely hear the sound through the exhaust. The fact that the problem hasnt gotten any worse kinda makes me hopeful that the misfire is the cause of the noise. Opinions?
Sponsored links