Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
Iowaboy is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Dodge 2500 5.9l magnum oil leak

Hey guys, this is my first post. Well, I bought a truck from a family friend for $2600 two months ago. It's a nice truck, hardly any top body rust, only 98000 miles etc. It's a 1995 reg cab long bed 2500 with the 5.9l magnum and such. The previous owner had a new headgasket put on, plenum gasket, intake manifold gasket, studs, thermostat, and heads put on the truck. Now, I must say I'm a complete idiot when it comes to mechanics and such. Well, anyways I just noticed an oil leak. There's oil dripping and pooled up where it seems the block meets the top of the motor.(Like I said I'm an idiot and know nothing with this stuff.) It's leaking on the drivers side rear corner of motor above the starter I do believe and directly above the transaxle and drips down onto the transaxle (I think that's what its called.) Also the front of the transmission is covered in motor oil. There is no coolant in my oil and no oil in my coolant, it don't bubble, the oil isn't being lost hardly at all, I check it everyday, no loss in coolant, and the truck never overheats. It also holds a good oil pressure and I never smell burnt oil and it never smokes. It also doesn't have any water on the dipstick or excess water in the exhausts. So my question is, whats causing the leak? I was told it could be the rear main seal or the left valve cover gasket? Does that sound right? Is this serious? Will it damage the truck? Oh and if I take it to a shop how much will it cost to be fixed? Thanks. I attached one picture of the leak and one picture of the oil on the transmission.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0852.jpg (84.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0860.jpg (68.5 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored links