Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
shektbg is on a distinguished road
Question 3-5 Second Delay BEFORE Crank on Start?

My 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 has always started almost immediately when turning the ignition switch to Start (After waiting the obligatory second or two before turning for the Sentry security system to recognize the key). Recently, the truck has started having a delay between turning the key and the engine cranking. It began as a 2-3 second delay, and now can be 5, even 10 seconds before the starter cranks. No clicks, no noise, just nothing happens. Once the starter does crank, the engine fires up immediately.

I have had the battery checked, it's fine and nearly new. This doesnt have the symptoms of a battery problem. I have been doing some online searches, and I have seen several people report similar symptoms and have had responders suggest the Starter Relay may be bad, or Starter Solenoid. My understanding is that these are the same thing, correct?

Does anyone recognize this symptom and does it sound like it could be caused by a failing relay? That seems to be a much cheaper fix than replacing the starter itself, which I'm not convinced is the problem based on how nice it sounds when it does turn over.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Sponsored links