View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowaboy View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post. Well, I bought a truck from a family friend for $2600 two months ago. It's a nice truck, hardly any top body rust, only 98000 miles etc. It's a 1995 reg cab long bed 2500 with the 5.9l magnum and such. The previous owner had a new headgasket put on, plenum gasket, intake manifold gasket, studs, thermostat, and heads put on the truck. Now, I must say I'm a complete idiot when it comes to mechanics and such. Well, anyways I just noticed an oil leak. There's oil dripping and pooled up where it seems the block meets the top of the motor.(Like I said I'm an idiot and know nothing with this stuff.) It's leaking on the drivers side rear corner of motor above the starter I do believe and directly above the transaxle and drips down onto the transaxle (I think that's what its called.) Also the front of the transmission is covered in motor oil. There is no coolant in my oil and no oil in my coolant, it don't bubble, the oil isn't being lost hardly at all, I check it everyday, no loss in coolant, and the truck never overheats. It also holds a good oil pressure and I never smell burnt oil and it never smokes. It also doesn't have any water on the dipstick or excess water in the exhausts. So my question is, whats causing the leak? I was told it could be the rear main seal or the left valve cover gasket? Does that sound right? Is this serious? Will it damage the truck? Oh and if I take it to a shop how much will it cost to be fixed? Thanks. I attached one picture of the leak and one picture of the oil on the transmission.
Well the pictures aren't as good as an actual inspection. However I think you may need a new rear main seal and I would have that done anyways just because of the age of the vehicle. Mileage means little, matter of fact we all know that a vehicle that spends more time sitting than driving is going to have more seal failures.

The valve gasket is most probable too! Just replace the rear main seal and the valve cover gaskets and see what that does for you.

That leak above the block could be from the intake manifold, sometimes the manifold doesn't seal properly between the blocks and head, especially if someone doesn't use the RTV sealant in the corners of the manifold/heads.

I am starting to have a leak on the top end myself and it is all related the the heads, but with 145,000 miles and a vehicle that had sat for many years without ever being started it is expected. I myself have replaced almost every seal except for head gaskets and intake manifold gasket.