Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500 quad slt 4x2 b/h
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:40
Yankee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Actually the owner's manual says, "Do not use gasolines containing Methanol or E-85 Ethanol."

E-85 is 85% ethanol (and 15% gasoline). Not only is this bad for your engine and fuel system, it is also bad for your wallet. Although E-85 is cheaper than regular gasoline, you get MUCH lower fuel economy, so overall it's a very bad deal, even in a flex fuel vehicle.

Of course, the government now wants to increase the ethanol content of normal gasoline from 10% to 15%. This is apparently because they mandated a certain level of ethanol use in fuels (in absolute number of gallons, not as a percent of total fuel usage). Since fuel economy has been increasing, less fuel is used, which means they will not meet their self-imposed ethanol usage level. So, rather than reduce the overall ethanol quota (one might ask, why does government need to mandate how much ethanol we use, anyway?!?), they will simply mandate that we use more of it, over the objections of manufacturers who say this will damage engines, etc. Once again, our wonderful government is there to "help" us, whether we like it or not!!
not to pick a fight over nonsense...that box says EXACTLY what I posted...mebbe thats what they meant...who knows....and I have a so-called FLEX FUEL vehicle, didnt ask for it, but there it was, and the "cost", whatever it is, is buried in the base price....as for gaskets and such, i got a TON of small engines around here...including a 4 stroke boat motor that cost more than the boat...they ALL run on ethanol free stuff..must have 20+ gal of it laced with STABIL in cans in the shed.......and they run better...including the genny, which i only fire up once a month or so on general principles...(power failures are NORMAL around here)..but Ill be damned if Ill pay THAT for regular just to put in a truck....

fwiw, I agree with you re govt interference in virutally every part of our lives...which is ANOTHER reason i chose to live out here,...yer preaching to the choir...

Last edited by Yankee; 09-12-2013 at 08:23 AM.