View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgcet View Post
you say old, does it have rotators or strobes? with rotators you need a DC power supply capable of 30-50A continuous duty. With strobes it can be considerably less at maybe 20A continuous. in either case, no you cannot just plug it in to AC power.

you cheapest solution would be to wire it up to a car battery and recharge the battery when not in use. BUT don't expect it to run for hours on end unless you have a big battery!

link is below. And yes, i know that i cant literally just plug it in, the answer that i was looking for was what RogerRamJet posted, that quote is below.
I would rather not use a battery, if it just stays off and hangs somewhere thats cool, but if i can get it to light up thats even better! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgcet View Post
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/pts/3934148705.html is this the one, if it is this one or this style then you need a BIG DC power supply to run it. IIRC when we installed those we used a 40A fuse and the draw was around 35A. you can't just get a 35A PS though, you need a 50A in order to handle the 35A continuous draw when it is on.
it is actually this http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/pts/4016584111.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
How many amps will it be pulling. Here's a cheap converter, but it'll only do 6 amps.
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs