View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 04:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:123
1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
LOL funny story

i lived in Niland just south of there, i used to go to Bombay Beach almost every weekend, best bar around for miles was there,' Luck of the Irish'
one of the favorite bars for the Navy Seal Team back in the 1970s

This is Bombay Beach today

the
story of the Sultan Sea is almost erie in itself
at one time it was deep under water, then it dried up & there was so much salt in the area, that they ran railroad tracks into the deepest part & mined the salt.
One day the natural berm surrounding that area was accidentally breached while they were working on the Colorado River & it filled back in, the tracks & rail cars & i believe one engine was buried under water.
The whole area has MUD POTS, boiling mud ponds all around there
at a little town close by, they have Hot Mineral Spas there, people pay to stay there & bath in the heated mud
In a desperate attempt to save the fishing in the Salton Sea, they decided to raise the level of the Sea several feet with fresher water to dilute the salt level, it worked for years, but it didn't last as long as they had hoped
Fully half of the towns & cities around the Salton Sea are either boarded up or abandoned
the Salton Sea is or was 58 miles long & a few miles wide

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...&ved=0CIIBELYD
what was it like before it flooded. To me and the wife it looked like a town that used to be thriving with opportunities and just went down hill. I read about the salt mining operations and assumed that's what people moved their for originally. I have a very over active imagination and was picturing it in my head of what was there before it was destroyed

MODS in profile