Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:24
95dodgeV10 is on a distinguished road
Default good fuel pressure regulator and help diagnosing engine problem

2 questions, hopefully two answers. to start with my 01 cummins has been acting up the last few weeks and i cant figure out the issue. When the truck has been sitting for awhile (like 6 hours or more) when i start the truck it starts and idles fine. it drives fine to the end of my driveway or when im leaving work parking lot. but a moment later as im accelerating all the sudden the power dies off drastically. it sounds perfectly normal no coughing or popping and when i let it idle while im rolling down the road it sounds fine. when i stomp it to the floor it sounds fine and the rpms will come up just very slowly and i even feel the transmission downshift. i can hear the turbo whistling normally and everything its just like i lose about 200 hp. then after a minute or two the power comes back gradually but quickly and all the sudden everything is behaving normal. it wont do it unless it sits for several hours. the truck has 100 hp injectors, edge programmer (basic on/off 5 power level programmer), bd diesel maxflow pump. its done this before and it stopped when i found the oil was fairly low and filled it up. but when i topped it off with oil the last time it had no effect. its done this when its cold and hot out so it doesnt seem temp related. second question, i bought a low pressure fuel pressure gauge for it (in case fuel pressure issue on the low side is the cause of the issue above) and it says i need a fuel pressure regulator because the cummins has pressure spikes on start up that can damage the gauge. so what would be a good FPR that wont cause my credit card to meltdown? thanks for any ideas or opinions.
Sponsored links