View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping in mind, most owners manuals when referring to the motor oil, they mean Conventional Motor Oil

In 2009 the manual read to change motor oil every 3,000 miles, that is old school thinking

either in 2010 or 2011, the manual was changed to read 5,000 miles

i believe in 2012 the manual again was changed to read 8,000 miles

now they put the OIL SERVICE Indicator in the Rams, you can go by that, it is like sending a sample to a laboratory & having it tested for the % of oil life that it still has

what i don't know is what kind of oil is now put in the engine at the factory, conventional or synthetic 5w-20

many people are now using synthetic oil & a good quality oil filter & choosing to run the engine to 5,000 miles between changes, just because it feels right to them, not because they have to according to a book

at the dealership, when they change my oil & oil filter, ( i take my own to the dealership )
sometimes the printing machine that types out the NEXT SERVICE DUE sticker reads 3,000 miles, other times it reads 5,000 miles
yet the Service Engine Light comes on at 2,800 miles every time
i just reset it & continue driving & wait for it to come on a second time, unless i know that i am going to be on the road & no where near where i can stop for the service.
Then i get it done just before the trip
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle