Old 09-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
texashorns69 is on a distinguished road

I have owned both the 4.7L Magnum and 5.7L Hemi and have run Royal Purple and Amsoil full synthetic. In my opinion both these brands of synthetic oils are excellent and not only help keep your engine running great but clean it well and keep it lubricated too. I live in Texas and the temperatures get very hot here so a full synthetic is important.

And of course, as a few have posted, running the manufacturers recommended MDS is a must. I was a big Amsoil user until the prices for that product skyrocketed so I switched to Royal Purple which is expensive but I'm not paying shipping costs on top of it.

But something I didn't see mentioned was filter selection. A cheap filter may not be the best choice. In my opinion if you're willing to pay for the expensive good synthetic oil then use a good filter. I like Wix but you can get Napa Gold a few dollars cheaper. And by the way, the manufacturer that makes Wix also makes Napa Gold so they are the same filter.

My 2006 Ram 1500 4.7L Magnum has over 100,000 miles and I gave it to my son who drives it back and forth from college (2 1/2 hours one way) and it runs great. I use Royal Purple full synthetic in it.

It's good to see another Dodge lover taking care of their investment.

Last edited by texashorns69; 09-16-2013 at 05:30 PM.