Vehicle: 2013 RAM CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Tom-G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
Updates were released on the Uconnect web site. Then they started having issues with the radios dying and rendering the truck useless until the radio was swapped out. These radios, with install, are north of $2000 dollars. Now, the fact that the radios were dying BECAUSE of owners doing their own updates is up for debate. But, since these radios are so expensive my guess is upper, upper management has decided to take the possibility of a few owners bricking their own radios out of equation all together. Even if it saves 10 radios a year in the entire US, that is still a $20,000 savings.

Personally, I think Chrysler was sold an inferior product by a bunch of people who make phone software that said we can do this. If they went with a PC software company like Microsoft at least they have had years of experience fixing owners bricking PCs to call on.

PCs were the same way in the beginning. If you called customer service and said you were having problems with your PC the first thing they would ask is "Have you installed any new software or hardware?" If the answer is yes then they told you to uninstall it and contact that manufacturer for help. Now, they have dedicated whole portions of the operating system to fixing and recovering crashes.
I spoke with uconnect customer service the other day and was told two things:

1 - the original release date of the next firmware version was to be early September but it has been delayed. No new date available.

2 - to keep checking my the VIN on the software update page of the uconnect support site as the next release will be available for download. I specifically asked if it would void my warranty if I downloaded the firmware from the uconnect site and installed it myself and I was assured it would not void my warranty. Instructions for the installation will also be provided.

It will be interesting to see if they do make it available for customer download and installation, or if it will be a dealer only install as is current practice.