Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Tom-G is on a distinguished road

Software, or firmware in the case of our radios can be somewhat complex. From a computing technology perspective, the radios are considered an "appliance" with bundled firmware to operate them, without which the physical hardware is basically a boat anchor.

In general, firmware has multiple levels of code, but the two key ones are low-level processor code and the human interface code to allow us humans to interact with the radio and provide instructions to the processor. The basic underlying code, whether a Microsoft product, or an open source product like Linux, are only as good as among other things, the developer's specifications, how those specs were translated into code by the programmers, and the thoroughness of the testing (there is also dependency on the specific processor chip and radio circuitry design). I expect the uconnect development team is doing the best they can with their budget and staffing level but I would agree that if one of the major software developers like Microsoft, Oracle, IBM, etc. wrote the code I would expect a much more solid product on day one.

Enough of that! The discussion about Microsoft reminds me of the old jokes about what if Microsoft built cars. Enjoy:

http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/autos.asp