Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:19
skrantdurant is on a distinguished road
Default Tranfer Case or Transmission Update

Well, I went back and checked my truck a little closer and it's the transfer case. I can click through the trans detents and feel them all. I put it in park and took a step back to the rear tire and was able to roll the truck forward and back freely. I've heard of "dropping the web chain", but this is my first experience with it. Makes me dream of the days of my old cast iron gear-to-gear case my old Suburban had - true bulletproof other than the adapter seal issue where the 90W would transfer between the trans and t-case depending on which end was uphill at the time. Those were the days. Guess I'm showing my age there. Thanks for your input. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions once I get the truck home and the transfer case out for the check-and-condemn process. I've been dragging my feet with going to get it - 1) it's too wide for my friends' flatbed trailers cuzza the rims/tires it has on it, 2) I'm hesitant to do a 40 mile chain tow, mostly downhill, through the City of Albuquerque and south to my small town, and c) that kinda tow bill would set my already limited transfer case rebuild fund back into negative dollars. So, I'm waiting for the one friend I have with AAA coverage to get back from their vacation! Wish me luck...