View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 05:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamFreak13 View Post
Agreed 100%, MS may not be perfect but I don't know any Software Dev who is. People are stoked that our radios are based on Linux, right now I am not seeing how this made it any better than a MS based system.
I read on here the OS is RIM's and not Linux. I do not believe the issues are a fault of the OS but more an issue of how the IO abstraction layer is implemented as well as how unexpected events are mitigated by the software.

Infotainment is new to the automotive world and developed by software sources that do not have a strong automotive background typically known for designing fault tolerant devices. The testing seems to follow Microsoft's model letting the customer test which is not the automotive method of testing.

I have a long history in developing software for automotive. I've done engine control, instrument clusters, HVAC, impact detection, adaptive cruise control, body control, and hybrid transmission shift logic. Can anyone tell me the last time any one of the listed ECUs in their vehicle has crashed? Can't do it but they do crash on occasion, it is just that they can recover in under 200 MS.

Yes, Microsoft is the most popular desktop OS but when it comes to mission critical, like Internet servers for example, UNIX and its derivatives are the OS of choice. To expect Microsoft to produce a fault tolerant OS is an unreasonable expectation based on their past performances (ask Ford).

I wonder why Android wasn't the choice to run our radios. At least my VR would work.