Thread: new system
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

The TAU rate of a cap is where issues can come into play. A cap will charge and discharge rapidly causing transient spikes to the alternator. What does this do? It causes the alternator charging circuitry to spike high and low quickly, the alternator may not be able to keep up with these spikes. It will also cause most alternators to have excessive heat due to added resistance. These items we usually lead to decreased life of the alternator.
What's the best bet then? Well in the systems that I used to build, I would incorporate a high output alternator and also an extra battery close to the amp rack. The battery is actually an extremely large cap and provides more consistent filtered power without the spikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcaddy View Post
I am going to wire the two voice coils on each speaker in series, making each speaker a "4 ohm" then wire the two speakers in parallel bringing the total load to 2 ohm. I think I said that right. Haha it makes sense in my head.
I also think I may have ordered the line converter for no reason. I was looking at the details on the amp on alpines site and it looks like it may be built into amp already. I guess I'll find out when I hook everything up.
As for the capacitor I never knew that they could be bad for the alternator. Explain please. I know a few people that have them and swear by them. I got the capacitor pretty cheap so even if its a very slight improvement I'll use it. I May change my mind if someone can tell me how it can cause damage to my vehicle though.
Thanks