Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 5500
Color: white
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
kinohio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePwr View Post

SO where does it say the grill shell is aluminum?

It doesn't, but it doesn't say it is plastic either. I did not look at their website first as I found the grill on another suppliers site. In looking at those sites NONE that I found said it was plastic, most said it was aluminum or steel.

STILLEN

Chrome Grille Insert
Steel Chrome
4 pc. Opening
4 mm Billet Insert

WEB OFFROAD

Street Scene Custom Grille Shell 950-78522 Chrome Grille Insert - Steel Chrome - 4 pc. Opening - 4 mm Billet Insert

ANDY"S AUTOSPORT

Made of Steel

AUTO PARTS NETWORK

Chrome Grille Insert; Steel Chrome; 4 piece Opening; 4 mm Billet Insert

TRUCK STYLERS

Custom Grille Shell Street Scene 950-78522 Chrome Grille Insert - Steel Chrome - 4 pc. Opening - 4 mm Billet Insert

AUTO PARTS WAREHOUSE

Features:

Without emblem provision
Includes all necessary hardware and instructions
Made with chrome aluminum shell and polished aluminum insert
Assembled with Street Scene Custom Shell and Billet Insert Series

ETC

Can you see why I thought it wasn't plastic? The thing is the suppliers do not normally make up their own descriptions as the manufactures in general give them part descriptions. Why the do not change them when they KNOW of an error in inexcusable. I told Auto parts warehouse 3 times, to 3 different people, they were falsely describing the item and they said they would change it. Still up on their site today. Street scene was alerted to the misboxed item and THEY didn't bother to check it out or correct it, just blindly sent another one with the same problem. Again, inexcusable.

Bottom line is I just bought a new plastic grille off Ebay for $103.76 shipped to my door. Had to buy an emblem for it ($43.00) so the total was less than $150.00. The grill I have now was made in the same Taiwan mold as the Street scene version was and I assume chromed at the same place. So you basically are paying over $200.00 for 4 pieces of chromed aluminum flatstock with holes punched in it. I decided to pass.

Have it on the truck now and fit fine so to help anyone else out there, 4500 and 5500 grilles are indeed the same as the smaller trucks of the same year.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sse-950-78522
Where does it say aluminum grill shell on this page?

Started comparison shopping till I found Summit had the lowest price with the free shipping. Again it doesn't say plastic either.

I'm afraid you will not find an aluminum shell that has been chrome plated, and would suggest keeping the one they shipped you. It should fit and will last until the chrome gets rock chipped, or starts releasing from the plastic, just as your factory one has done. It's likely not going to happen within a few months, but it depend on the conditions you expose it to. Sorry there isn't a better answer....

The Original Dodge lasted 5 years so I'm not real hopeful here. They want close to $600 at the dealer but that is crazy to me. Live and learn I guess.