Thread: Cai
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
You will see very minimal gains out of just doing a CAI. The stock intake on the 4th gen Rams is already a true CAI. An aftermarket unit will only give you more noise and slightly better flow. You probably won't notice any power or fuel economy gains. The Vararam would be the one exception to this as it is a completely different style. You will definitely see a few gains with that, especially if you do a lot of highway driving.

I'd personally recommend just modding your stock CAI. Put a drop in K&N filter in it, add a secondary intake tube to the bottom of the air box (lots of threads on this throughout the forum, do a quick search), and change the tube between the air box and the throttle body. You will essentially have a CAI that is just as good if not better than any of the aftermarket set ups and it will cost you less than half the price.
I don't buy the part in bold for one second.

As CdnoilRam has pointed out many times on these boards, there's a good reason why they scrapped "that" type of air feeder during the 80's. Filled up some nice real estate in and around the throttle body area, but didn't do much else.

As for your second paragraph, that's the tune many here whistle. It may just be the case, yes indeed. However, until I see some comparisons backing your claim, I won't invest in that either.

We can agree to disagree....

Grub out!