View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1945
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

The bold part is backed by Andrew's (fastNugly) experience with the Vararam. He has said his highway gains are about 3 mpg better fuel economy and a small increase in power. However I do agree what those gains will only be notice with highway driving where the air will be forced into the Vararam as it has been designed for. For normal everyday city driving then yes, a closed CAI is a better option and the stock set up will work fine.

I have read many of CdnoilRam's post about the Vararam and why they scrapped it but it comes back to what I just pointed out above. Yes a new style CAI is better for city driving has it will actually pull in cooler air from outside the engine compartment. But for someone doing highway driving or drag racing the Vararam will perform better for a few different reasons. One being the ram air type design it has, the second being the increased filter area allowing more air in. So yes, really it is wrong to claim that all users will see those gains out of the Vararam, but some will. I could back this up with tons of first and second hand drag racing experience but this post is already long enough. lol.

As far as the stuff goes in my second paragraph I can back up that adding the secondary intake tube did definitely help getting more "cold" air into the engine. I had my Bully Dog monitoring intake air temp. With the secondary pipe installed my intake temps were rarely any more than 10 degrees (F) higher than the outside air temp. At stop lights it might jump out about 5 degrees but that was it. It definitely helped keep the temps down which does create more power. Now that being said, no I didn't feel any difference between having it or not.... but when you have a number of mods just adding little things like that it will make a difference.
Changing the filter and intake tube will simply allow for slightly better flow which again is just one of those small things you can do.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's