View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Those that think engines shouldn't burn any oil are living in a fantasy world. All engines burn some amount of oil, and it varies due to many things. Just like the quote posted from chrysler earlier in this thread, burning 1 or 2 qts in ~5k miles is not abnormal, and is perfectly acceptable. You burning 1/2 qt in 4k miles isn't bad at all.

I've seen people that use the 15k mile amsoil oil and never check it because they think they only need to check it every 15k miles when they change it. They are confused at when they change the oil and only 2 qts come out and they definitely remember filling it with 5 qts.

All engines burn some amount of oil. Some less, some more, depending mainly on how well the rings seated during break in.

My truck burns about 1/2 qt or less in 5k miles during daily driving. If I go on a long tow(last year towed to AR and also NC) it burned about 1 qt during each of those couple thousand mile trips. There's a lot of factors.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.